How to fit a wall-mounted handrail
Decide what height you want your handrail.
UK regulations state that the minimum handrail height should be 90cm (measured from the pitch line to the top of the handrail). Decide what height, 90cm or above, will work best for the people who will be using your handrail the most.
a. If your handrail has fixed brackets (for un fixed brackets go to b).
. Measure the distances along the rail your first bracket is.
. Measure this same distance along the pencil line, and make a mark at this point.
. Using a straight edge and a level, mark at intersecting vertical line at this point.
. Repeat this process for each of your fixed brackets.
. Now go to number 8.
. Place a straight edge and level against the front of the second step and mark a vertical pencil line intersecting the handrail line.
. Repeat the last step on the last but one step. You now have the position of your top and bottom bracket.
. The answer to your division is the distance between each of the marks you will make for the rest of the brackets along the line. From your bottom bracket mark, measure this distance and make a mark. Then, on this point, using a straight edge and level mark a vertical pencil line intersecting the handrail line.
. Keep repeating the last step measuring from the bracket point you just marked until you reach the top bracket mark.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for all of the brackets.
- CHECK: Using a drill, make pilot holes where you have made your screw marks. Do not make the hole wider than the anchor.
- CHECK: Ensuring you are using the correct anchors for you wall substrate, insert them into the holes.
- Now it is time to fix either the handrail (if your brackets are fixed) or your individual brackets to the wall using screws, which are suitable for the wall substrate.
If your brackets were fixed, your job is now complete.
- If your brackets were separate, you now need to place the handrail on top of the brackets and mark the position of the fixing holes with a pencil.
- On the pencil marks, drill the holes into your handrail.
- You are now ready to screw the handrail onto the brackets. You should now be finished.
Shop for wall-mounted handrails now.